Outbreak Alerts by StopSign Internet Security let you know when specific malware infections are trending, describe what they do, and provide tips on how to avoid them.
What Cryptolocker Does:
- Encrypts Personal Documents
- Demands Payment in Exchange for Decrypting Personal Documents
- Significantly Slows Down the Infected Machine
How It Infects:
- Primarily email attachments, but can include instant message attachments, infected websites, infected media or document files, peer-to-peer file sharing networks, or even downloaded by other malware;
- Infection can also be found in hyperlinks to infected websites from email, instant messages, and social networking messages or posts.
How To Avoid Infection:
- Use extreme caution when you receive a link or attachment from anyone, even those you know;
- Do not download unknown files or files from unknown sources;
- If using StopSign Internet Security, be sure the On-Access Scan is installed and enabled;
- Scan all downloaded files with a malware threat scanner, such as StopSign Internet Security, before executing them;
- Ensure that all updates are installed from Microsoft Update to help protect against vulnerabilities in the operating system.
Technical Name: Cryptolocker